if you dig street art and haven’t heard of space invader my first question to you would most likely be, have you been living under a rock??! said with much indignation, buckets of disbelief and a hint of outrage.
probably one of the most iconic and infamous street artists in existence, space invader himself is based in paris (lucky me!). the tally of his invasion of this city is currently at 704 which means that you’d have to have seriously impaired vision not to spot one of his works! i’ve noticed that there seems to be more of them around the north and east of paris if you’re keen on hunting some down. also check out his website here for more pictures and info.
besides paris and the rest of france, space invader has left his mark literally all over the world. again, check out his web site for more details. perth and melbourne (in my beautiful country of origin) hold totals of 26 each (including one stuck to a shipping buoy in the middle of the ocean!). however, it disappoints me slightly that sydney has been forgotten… he’ll just have to come back someday.
the things i love about space invader
* his street art name is both clever and cute
* staying true to the original video game he gives himself points for every invasion
* each little character up on a wall is different
* his visual style is really simple, iconic and fun
* it’s such a nice surprise to turn a corner and bump into one here… sometimes i play a game to see how many i notice (and how many points i can accumulate) in a day.
please scroll to see some of my favourites…